Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Homemade yogurt. The way YOU made it...

The yeast, not doing anything. Cleaned out the jar, restarted with warm water and more than a few granules of yeast and slow feeding (every 12hrs when i remember) white granulated sugar. Looks like a milky floating film for now...

Instead, I tried something similar. Maybe it's similar, bacteria right?     Probiotics!

The recipe I actually copied to text seems to be
Homemade Yoghurt by Crystal Miller

When I searched google for "I raise Nubian goats and use my own goat milk" I found it...

The recipe was based on 8 cups of milk with 1/2 cup of starter bacteria.



I read the amount of milk makes the same amount of yogurt and I wanted to use tasty Greek yogurt. My Chobani Greek yogurt container holds 32oz so I made the 4cups and used 1/4 starter.

Now the yogurt tastes like Greek yogurt no doubt; but is thin, watery almost. Author Miller also suggests powdered milk "this is optional but will make a thicker yogurt". I am reluctant to try this because: again it cost money to buy anything. So I reheated it to 110 (twice), even added more yogurt. Now it is even more bitter, a perfect amount to taste actually, but no thicker.

I'll figure it out.

Actually I did figure it out.  When left to settle in the fridge and with fast cooling the yogurt thickened. yay!

MakeYourOwnYogurt.com

Measure milk per container(s).
Bring milk to 185F.
Cool to 110F. [Cultures are inactive below 95F and die above 120F.]
Add pre-maid yogurt as a bacteria starter.
Incubate in a preheated place for 7+ hours: depending on preference of bacteria amount and intensity.
Flavour to preference, ;) Refrigerate and enjoy.
-This growth process produces some type of gas expansion and does not allow for a tight fitting lid, so do not.

No comments: