Monday, September 26, 2011

The Lion King - Back in Theaters

Do not miss your chance to see The Lion King back in theaters! I know I didn't and don't regret a second. Granted, I watched the non-3D version.


We sat down just in time for Regal to tell us not to text message and the movie started.  I have to admit the first scene had me wondering why I, as a grown person, was watching this movie in theater.  But then I found myself writing a movie review in my head, spectacular art, amazing "camera angles": all hand drawn, including a sequence of dark clouds rolling across the tundra that was jaw dropping for me.  The emotions conveyed through the eyes and ears of a lion cub are extravagant.


An amazing movie, with love, laughs and danger HA HA HA! One of my favorites!




The Disney Blog has a list of Ten Little Known Facts About The Lion King here's my favorite

#10 THE FILMMAKERS ORIGINALLY WANTED CHEECH AND CHONG TO PLAY THE HYENAS IN THE MOVIE

“We had a really tough time finding the right voices for the hyenas in the movie,” reveals co-director Rob Minkoff. “Gary Trousdale, one of the directors of Beauty And The Beast, helped us out in the early stages of development and he created an entire storyboard of the hyenas as if they were played by Cheech and Chong. It was hilarious, but Cheech and Chong weren’t working together at the time, so we knew we wouldn’t be able to book the pair for the roles. Around that same time we heard that Whoopi Goldberg was interested in the film and when we asked her if she’d like to voice a hyena she said, ‘Yeah, great.’ So we got Cheech and Whoopi instead of Cheech and Chong!”

and of moveifone's  17 Things You Might Not Have Known About 'The Lion King' By Gary Susman

12. 'The Lion King' marks the second time that James Earl Jones and Madge Sinclair played royal parents of an African prince. The first time was 'Coming to America,' where they played Eddie Murphy's dad and mom.

14. While the characters in the movie are all hand-drawn, computers were used for assistance in some sequences, notably, the wildebeest stampede. In that sequence, a computer multiplied several hand-drawn animals into hundreds and created random paths for them. The resulting two-and-a-half-minute sequence took more than two years to create.

Two years for two and a half minutes!!! What a great movie.

No comments: