Monday, January 17, 2011

Chewy, Tangy, Lemon Poppyseed Cookies

I'm trying to take pictures of these/those cookies. I SWEAR!! I just bought the lemons and ginger...

Ok, ok I never really liked all the hype about Martha Stewart… But I just realized that another one of my favorite cookie recipes is also based on one of her recipes August 2004. Go figure.

These cookies are AMAZING. Not just a lemon flavour but a “lemon zing” as I’ve read and can not explain it any better.  Chewy, oh the chewiness of cookies that I love. If you like lemon, buy a big bag of lemons and make these cookies and lemon poppy seed muffins, which by the way are a bit more difficult to make!


Ingredients:
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus 3 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest (2 to 3 lemons)
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon poppy seeds, plus more for sprinkling

 Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375F.  Simmer lemon juice until reduced to ½. Add 4z (1 stick) butter.
2. Cream Sugar and other 4z (stick) of butter until fluffy.
3. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds.
4. Add the egg and lemon butter to the creamed sugar/butter. Stir in 2 tsp lemon zest. Mix in flour mixture.
5. Combine ½ cup sugar and 1 ½ tsp zest.  Roll dough into 1 ½ inch balls and roll in sugar/zest mixture. Flatten to ¼ inch thick 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
6. Bake 10-11 min until edges are just browned.

Makes about 30 cookies

No comments: